DollarBreak is reader-supported, when you sign up through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Whether you’re looking to sell or trade-in your vehicle, TrueCar can be an excellent company to consider. TrueCar connects you with local dealerships that give you an instant cash offer. All you need to do is fill out an online application, drop off your car at the dealership for an inspection, and get paid. What’s good, you’ll get paid by check right at the dealership. Instead of getting cash, you can also trade in your car with TrueCar and leave the dealership with a new car.
- Selling your car and receiving an offer is easy and quick, taking a few minutes
- You can see how factors, such as mileage and condition, affect your car’s value
- TrueCar pays through check as soon as you close the deal with the local dealership
- The True Cash offer is available for three days in case you need more time to part with your car
- TrueCar only directs you to three local dealerships
- You might find better deals if you’re looking to trade in your car
Jump to: Full Review
Compare to Other Car Buying Websites
Get your free offer instantly via online form or call on (855) 925 4302
$0 fees + you don’t have to pay for towing – Peddle will take care of it
Get paid in check during the pick up for any car (damaged, junk, wrecked)
Get an offer within 2 minutes and sell your damaged car within 24 hours
Free vehicle towing and no fees to getting rid of your damaged car
The tow truck driver will arrive with your check (nationwide service)
Quick car evaluation without the hassle – sell your car within 30 min
Choose a convenient date and time for free pick-up, as soon as next day
Get cash in hand the same day the Wheelzy agent picks up your car
How Does TrueCar Work for Car Sellers?
TrueCar is an online car selling site that seeks to make car selling and buying transparent, easy and efficient. The site also serves as an information platform for buying, selling, and trading in cars. It was founded in 2005 by Scott Painter, an automotive tech entrepreneur.
TrueCar allows you to;
- See the prices of new and used cars in your area.
- Research the value of your vehicle before you sell it.
- To shop for new, used, and certified pre-owned cars.
- Lease your vehicle through the platform.
- Receive a quote from the TrueCar team.
- Accept or decline the quote from TrueCar dealerships.
How Much Can You Get for Your Car With TrueCar?
The amount you get for selling your car through TrueCar depends on the car’s make, model, age, and current condition. For example, the 2018 Toyota Camry value is estimated to be between $22,150 to $24,950.
Benefits of TrueCar
Let’s find out how TrueCar works for car sellers and how you can use it to sell your car with this company.
TrueCar aims to connect dealerships with car buyers or sellers at the right moment. For example, a car buyer looking for pricing information in TrueCar’s database will be connected to a dealership that offers the best price. This way, ready-buyers save time by not going through multiple sellers to find the car deals.
Another notable aspect of TrueCar’s marketing solution is email campaigns. The platform will promote your car to customers through branded emails. These emails include different and personalized offers based on the information sellers posted on the portal.
You can also opt for a sponsorship package to get to the top of TrueCar’s listings. Through this option, your inventory is likely to get clicks from prospective buyers.
Learn More About the Industry
You use the latest information to learn more about the car shopping industry to help you set new sales strategies and optimize the existing ones.
As a seller, you can also check and adapt best practices from industry leaders.
TrueCar provides training and education to car sellers through its TrueCar University. Here, you can access webinars, resources, and courses to know more about sales and management.
Who is TrueCar Best for?
TrueCar is best for car owners looking to sell their old cars to earn extra cash. It is also best for individuals looking for accurate information as they embark on their car-buying journey.
What Types of Vehicles Does TrueCar Purchase?
TrueCar does not buy or sell damaged cars and trucks. It connects you to certified dealers that can buy your damaged, broken, or junk cars at fair and competitive market prices. Therefore, the dealers share with you the types of vehicles they purchase.
How to Trade-In Your Car With TrueCar?
- Visit TrueCar’s trade-in page and enter the necessary information. Make sure to include accurate information.
- Once you receive an offer, take your car to a certified dealership and have a representative check it.
- After confirming your car’s condition with the dealership, you can use the monetary offer to get a new car.
Note that your True Cash offer is valid for up to three days. This means that you have three days to sell your car for the amount stated in the offer.
The online application process also gives you the option to choose your preferred trade-in car.
TrueCar for Military
TrueCar has incentives for military members, veterans, and their families.
The TrueCar Military Appreciation Package includes the following:
- Up to $4,000 bonus cash from selected manufacturers.
- Dealer discounts on vehicles, new and used.
- Vehicle condition summaries for each used car.
- Up to $4,000 worth of repair and deductible reimbursements.
- Dedicated customer service hotline at 1-866-850-8318.
How Does TrueCar Calculate the Price of Your Vehicle?
When selling your car, you’ll know the estimated value by entering your car’s model on the appraisal page. However, you’ll need to provide the following information to know the actual price of your vehicle:
- Optional features, such as automatic transmission.
- Mileage and zip code.
- Conditions of your car (e.g. existing damage, accident history, mechanical issues, illuminated warning lights, and modifications).
- Other conditions (e.g. front and back tires, any previous owner, and odors).
After providing this information, TrueCar will show your True Cash Estimate. Other promotions or offers might still apply once you bring your car to the certified dealer.
How Fast Can You Sell Your Car With TrueCar?
Selling your own TrueCar is fast and convenient. The company will require you to fill out the information about your car to get a quote. You will then get matched with the best dealership in your area based on the information you have provided. The entire process takes 2 to 3 days.
TrueCar Fees: How Much Does it Cost to Use TrueCar?
You don’t have to pay for anything to sell your car through the TrueCar website. All services provided by the company are 100% free.
TrueCar Payment Options
TrueCar is a car selling site that connects dealers with potential buyers or sellers. Therefore, the payment method used will depend on the dealership you are working with.
TrueCar Reviews: is TrueCar Legit?
TrueCar is a reliable and trusted platform that provides accurate information to its consumers about vehicles. It has an A+ rating on Better Business Bureau, 3.8 rating on Trustpilot, 4.7 rating on App Store and a 4.3 rating on Google Play Store.
Most users indicated that TrueCar is one of the best sites to consider when selling old or used cars since it offers fair deals. Other users also liked the platform since it connects sellers with dealers who offer the best prices.
Unfortunately, some users complained that the app constantly had glitches and could not operate properly. Others had problems with dealers who failed to honor the pricing shared with them by TrueCar. The positive reviews outweigh the negative reviews. Therefore TrueCar can be described as safe and legit.
What Are the TrueCar Pros & Cons?
- Selling your car TrueCar is an easy and quick process.
- Allows you to see the factors affecting the value of your car, e.g. mileage.
- Have up to 3 days to accept or decline the offer.
- Better deals if you’re looking to trade-in your car.
- TrueCar only directs you to three local dealerships.
- Some dealers fail to honor pricing shared by TrueCar.
How Good is TrueCar Support?
TrueCar has reliable and responsive customer support available 24/7 via live chat, email, or phone. It also has detailed FAQ and help pages with many answered questions, articles, and blogs.
TrueCar also has a social forum where platform users engage, ask questions, and receive answers from the TruCar support team.
TrueCar Review Verdict: is It Worth Selling Car With TrueCar?
TrueCar is a recommended car listing site that connects you with local dealerships to give you an instant offer on your car. After filling out the online application form, you will receive an offer within 2 minutes and have up to 3 days to accept or decline the offer.
Additionally, if you don’t want cash, you can trade-in your car for a new one. It does not charge any service, and the payment method or period depends on the dealership you work with.
How to Sell Your Car Privately With TrueCar?
If you’re looking to sell your car with TrueCar, here’s how you can do it:
- Go to TrueCar’s website using your smartphone or computer.
- On the website, you’ll see the options to enter your license plate, VIN, or make/model. Select the option that corresponds to the information you have. For example, choose the license plate option if you have the license plate number.
- Provide the information on each field and click on get started.
- Answer follow-up questions about your car. You’ll see the system calculating your car’s value as you enter your answers.
- Enter information where you want to receive your True Cash offer.
- Take your car to a TrueCar certified local dealer. A representative will then check the physical conditions of your vehicle.
- Cash out the offer from TrueCar.
Sites Like TrueCar
|Service fee||0 fees||0 fees||0 fees||$19 to $79|
|Turn around time||2 to 3 days||24 hours||24 hrs||48 hours|
|Best for||Providing information about cars.||Quick turnaround time||Selling cars online||Instant car sales|
TrueCar vs. Peddle
- Buys used, damaged or junk car nationwide
- Get instant quote on (855) 925 4302
- Free towing within 48 hours after offer
- Receive payment upon car collection
Like TrueCar, Peddle offers the option to sell your car quickly. Peddle turnaround time is 24 hours compared to TrueCars turnaround of 2 to 3 days. Both sites are free to sign up and use.
While you have up to 7 days to accept or decline an offer from Peddle, the TrueCar acceptance period is 2 to 3 days. With Peddle, you get paid during the car pick up, while TrueCar payment period depends on the dealership you are working with.
TrueCar vs. Wheelzy
- Wheelzy stores are open 7 days a week
- Get offer in minutes – (855) 510-1108
- Free towing of your car from your location
- Instant payment via cash or check
Wheelzy and TrueCar are legitimate online car selling websites that allow you to sell your car quickly with less hassle. Like TrueCar, Wheelzy services are free of charge. Both platforms have user-friendly websites that are easy to navigate.
Additionally, when you provide Wheelzy with information about your car, the company representative will contact you with a fair deal compared to TrueCar, which connects you with certified dealers after accurately filling out the online form.
TrueCar vs. eBay Motors
eBay Motors Summary
- Sell 20+ types of vehicle and car parts
- Low listing fees starting from just $19
- List a car for sale in under 10 minutes
- 2 selling options – fixed price or auction
Like TrueCar, eBay Motors is quick and easy to access. eBay Motors turnaround time is 48 hours compared to TrueCar’s 2 to 3 days turnaround time. Moreover, both sites focus on selling cars.
While TrueCar does not charge any service fees, eBay Motors charges a $19 – $79 listings fee + 2.35% on the portion of the sale over $7,500.
In addition, eBay Motors also has an auction feature that allows you to sell your car if you are unsure of its value, while TrueCar does not. Otherwise, both apps can provide you with an opportunity to make money and earn.
TrueCar vs. CarMax
- Instant online offer in under 2 minutes
- Online offer is valid for up to 7 days
- 2 options for selling – online or in-store
- Get paid within 30 minutes on the spot
Like TrueCar, CarMax also offers a trade-in program so you can exchange your older car for a newer one. While CarMax offers you two selling options; online and in-store, TrueCar offers one selling option; online.
Moreover, both sites are free to sign and use. In terms of turnaround time, CarMax’s turnaround time is 24 to 48 hours compared to TrueCar, whose turnaround time is 2 to 3 days. Additionally, CarMax is best for selling cars online, while TrueCar is best for providing accurate information to buyers about vehicles.
Other Sites Like TrueCar
What is TrueCar?
Headquartered in San Marita, California, TrueCar has built a solid reputation as one of the best companies providing consumers with valuable tools, research, market pricing and transparency as they look to buy new cars.
TrueCar’s primary purpose is to make the selling or buying process simple, fair and fun. The company has partnered with over 13,000 dealers to make the buying and selling process quick, easy, transparent and fair.
Does TrueCar work for used cars?
TrueCar works for used cars.
Is TrueCar free?
All services provided by TrueCar are free of charge.
Do dealers have to honor TrueCar’s prices?
Generally, dealers honor TrueCar’s prices. However, the contrary might happen in some cases, depending on factors such as manufacturing and marketing.
How can I contact TrueCar customer support?
You can contact TrueCar customer support via email, phone, or live chat for any concerns or inquiries.